Friday, May 11, 2012

Milt Pappas


Born on today's date, Milt Pappas.

"Any of the four pitches could've been called a strike and the last two were definitely strikes. Froemming came to the mound after Stahl walked and I called him every name that I knew in the English Language. When I ran out of names, I started calling him names in Greek." - On his claim that home plate umpire, Bruce Froemming denied him a perfect game on 9-2-72 by awarding a walk to Larry Stahl with two outs in the ninth inning after he had retired 26 straight batters

3 comments:

Johngy said...

I agree with Pappas in theory. If the pitch was that close, Stahl should have been swinging or the ump should have called it a strike. Yet, I hate to see Pappas continually gripe about this. It tarnishes the accomplishment.

Contrary Guy said...

I wish there was video of the pitch.

Playing devil's advocate, assuming Froemming was not a complete jackass, he may have intended to give Pappas every pitch that was anywhere close but for the integrity of the game, it was simply a "no-doubt" ball that he had to call.

Again, I wish there was video of the pitch.

Hackenbush said...

I agree with Johngy. Milt's whining is embarrassing.