Friday, August 21, 2009

Memo to the Orioles


Nice hats. I like the team colors. I hear the park is nice. In little league, I was on the Orioles.

All pleasantries aside and also let me say from the outset that I am just trying to help. I see that you just picked up pitcher, Chris Lambert who was just released by the Tigers.

Did you consult with your organizational scouts or pitching coaches before doing this? I mean that is what I would do before picking up a player. That's what those guys are for, after all.

Having been to my share of Tigers games this year, I can tell you that this is quite an ambitious project that you are taking on here. I don't even have to look at Lambert's ERA*. I have a good idea as to what it is. I can tell you that from our seats at Comerica Park, you can partially see the opponent's dugout and I can remember one time when he was coming in from the bullpen in relief, I swear I saw some opposing players rush to the posted lineup card to see how soon they would be up to bat.

I am not saying that he absolutely will never be an effective pitcher in the major leagues; after all the U.S. won the gold medal in hockey in the 1980 Winter Olympics** and all but.....

To come right out and say it, he is not what you are looking for. Trust me on this. I don't care what they told you.

I would keep looking though (but elsewhere).

*I couldn't resist. I looked it up. 14.85 ERA this year. 7.90 career ERA.

**They made a movie about that called "Miracle".

3 comments:

Collective Troll said...

Your talking to the same team that is paying Danys Baez over 7 million a year to be a crappy, mop-up, middle inning reliever...I think the organization just really hates Brain Roberts and Nick Markakis and wants to make sure that they never have a decent player around them...

Carl Crawford Cards said...

I remember watching the O's AAA affiliate the Norfolk Tides come through Durham the past few years. Most of the "prospects" were on the wrong side of 26 and the veterans were 4A types trying to get another cup of coffee.

I'm sure that they are all fine people, but the fact is the O's cupboard is beyond bare. I appreciate their current strategy of grabbing up prospects (Jones) and former hot prospects who never got a legit shot (Pie), but how many legit players have they developed since Cal Ripken? I think I can name four.

Until they can actually harness the young talent that falls into their web, this is the BEST they can do.

Contrary Guy said...

They are lucky to have Peter Angelos.