Saturday, January 23, 2010

A real life swinging friar



Jon Paul Morosi of Foxsports.com reports that one of the Oakland A's top prospects, Grant Desme has decided to retire from baseball to pursue the priesthood.

Actually, 23 year old Desme appeared to be quite a prospect as he batted .288 with 31 home runs and 89 RBIs in 131 game at Class A last year and he was destined for Class AA in 2010.

Hmmm. This is quite interesting.

I am Catholic and can tell you that around here anyway at weekly mass the priests are constantly encouraging the young men of the parish to consider the priesthood. Based on the numbers at our local seminary, they don't seem to be having much success with this. I think they need to work on that celibacy requirement thing but that is just me. I also am not quite sure why they would automatically exclude 50% of the population but again that is just me.

Well, anyway the Oakland diocese has nabbed a professional baseball player. That parish softball team just got a whole lot better. They have the makings of a dynasty.

Well, good luck on your spiritual journey, Grant! This certainly is an interesting detour for you.

It probably goes without saying that everybody should sell NOW any Grant Desme prospect cards that you may have.

Just trying to be helpful.

2 comments:

Roy said...

On the contrary...I think I'm going to start collecting Desme out of respect.

Contrary Guy said...

I gotcha.

For what it is worth, based on what little I know, he has my ultimate respect.