Friday, April 13, 2012

Mark Fidrych


On this date in 2009, Mark Fidrych dies at age 54 from an accident while working on his truck at his farm in Northborough, Massachussetts.

"On national tv, I said to a guy interviewing me, 'That's a lot of bullshit.' It just slipped out. Everybody was looking at me funny. Then I realized. Whoah there. So I said in the microphone, 'Hey people. I'm sorry. I said bullshit. It just slipped out again.' I can't use big words to express myself. Educated people can do that. Me, I say 'bullshit'."

4 comments:

Fuji said...

Every now and then... if I need a little pick me up, I'll watch the video of him beating the Yankees back in the mid 70's. Miss the guy.

Contrary Guy said...

He was a folk hero in Detroit for many years after his playing days. Once a year, he would come in for a card show and people would start talking and reminiscing. I flat out loved the guy.

Fuji said...

He was a little before my time... I was watching games in the 70's, but mostly A's games.

However, over the years... I've read up and watched videos on him. Folk hero indeed.

If you're interested, my Sunday post will feature the trifecta (rookie, auto, & memorabilia) I finished recently.

Contrary Guy said...

Thanks, Fuji. I will look for it.