Friday, August 3, 2012

Al Kaline


On this date in 1980, Al Kaline is inducted into the Hall of Fame.

"Al Kaline played his first full season with the Detroit Tigers in 1953 at the age of 18 years old. I was 12 years old at the time and my buddies and I found out that the new rookie, Al Kaline, had moved to Oak Park and lived a couple blocks from me. Of course, we were huge Tiger fans so we'd ride our bikes by his house several times a day, hoping to see him. We also made sure we had our ball gloves and a baseball or two with us.

One day, we saw him in his front yard and we asked him if he'd play catch with us. He did so for about 15 minutes and it was definitely a special day in my young life. We were in awe of him but he was so nice and also kind of shy so we liked him that much more." - Dam McKane, Canton, Michigan (Detroit Free Press)

No comments: