Friday, July 9, 2010

They did what?




Bob Baum of AP reports that before Thursday's game against the Marlins, Diamondbacks interim manager, Kirk Gibson brought in the Human Calculator, author and math whiz Scott Flansburg to give a surprise presentation to the team in an effort to rev up the intensity and self-confidence.

?!?!

"Smart guy, I'll say that," Diamondbacks second baseman Kelly Johnson said. "I still don't know what we learned."

This is really a mystery because in baseball you could conceivably get by just knowing single digit numbers and the "greater than" and "less than" concepts. Sure it would help to know more but you could get by with just that.

I know this and that is as a player, Kirk Gibson would have told the calculator guy to stick that thing up his......well you know.

Not getting this one.

At all.

5 comments:

Mark Aubrey said...

I've never heard of Mr. Flansburg. For motivation one can't get much better than Mr. Berra...

Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.

or

You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough in the second half you give what's left.

Now there's some math the players could use. I bet Yogi's got some agreement with Steinbrenner that prevents him from motivating other teams, though.

night owl said...

Never would I have pegged Gibson for the manager sort. So I think all of this is just an Arizona desert mirage. Later, we'll all wake up and realize Bob Brenly is still managing the team.

TheRealDFG said...

I still thought Bob Brenly's Ghost was managing the team to this day. Who knew?

Matt Runyon said...

the D-backs made a mistake when they got rid of Brenly

Contrary Guy said...

Oh, boy. I spend a little time at the other site and come back and see 4 comments. My first thought was "Oh no. Mark has heard of this guy" but I see Mark dispelled that thought immediately. I do agree and lean more towards Yogi's math than the Human Calculator's and I say that not knowing one thing about the Human Calculator. I just don't side with anybody who calls themself "The Human Calculator". It's not a technology thing. I wouldn't side with anybody that called themselves "The Human Slide Rule" or the "Human Eraser" either. Too darn weird. I wouldn't take his business card either other than maybe to give it to my kids who would probably throw it out.

I also agree that the D-Backs woudl be better off with Brenley who I always liked. I listened to Kirk Gibson for years on a local sports talk show. I like him as a person but I think "patience" with players that are not as good as he was would really be an issue. I do think he would be the ideal bench coach which is what he was before the promotion. Funny how that works.