Thursday, July 16, 2009

Just askin' about this Michael Jackson thing



Instead of making this a "limited-editon" short-print chase card mini-set inserted into a product (Upper Deck X) nobody seems to like, why not just insert these cards liberally into all future 2009 Upper Deck sets? I am not a marketing person by any definition but I would bet that this would drive sales more than doing what they are doing here.

The shame of it all is that the cards look nice. I bet that people will want to have them. I bet these same people will not want to buy the Upper Deck X product to try and get them. I bet these same people will not want to pay an arm and a leg for the cards on ebay.

Had Michael Jackson not died, would Upper Deck have produced a "limited edition" 4 card set (Exclusive to Upper Deck X!) of Farrah Fawcett celebrating her famous pin-up poster? I know that Farrah Fawcett died just hours before Michael Jackson. Did Upper Deck immediately have to switch gears on this?

Just wondering.

No comments: