Thursday, July 16, 2009

Ichiro's lost opportunity


Per ESPN.com, Ichiro got to meet President Obama in the clubhouse prior to this year's All Star Game. Apparently, Obama stopped and signed a ball for Ichiro who gave a slight bow upon meeting the President and appeared giddy and "excited as a kid".

"My idea, when I saw him, was to say, 'What's up?' to him," Ichiro said. "But I got nervous. You know, he has that kind of aura about him. So I got nervous and I didn't say that to him. I was a little disappointed about that."

Ichiro blew it! He had a golden opportunity to say "What's up?" to President Obama and didn't. He choked. At the very least, he could have blurted out "Hey man" or "Be cool" (or the Japanese equivalents) but he did not even do that. Not too many people have the chance to say "What's up?" to the President. He could have maybe even gotten on Obama's Christmas card list. A "What's up?" might have done that.

What a lost opportunity.

I would be kicking myself too.

No comments: