Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Yankees' payroll (kind of) exceeds that of the All Star team


Per bugsandcranks.com, the average salary of a 2009 All Star is $7,404,184 which is $410,917 less than what the average New York Yankee makes - $7,748,046.

I guess I should be all "outraged" about this but considering that the Yankees have not won a World Series since 2000 and didn't even make the playoffs last year, I have to put this in the "so it is" file.

I suppose you could say that this championship drought by the Yankees is proof that they do not spend wisely on their payroll but they are a profitable franchise and I think much of that profit is generated by the "star power" of their lineup so I don't know that this argument works; from a business standpoint anyway.

The more I think about it, this may more properly belong in the "whatever" file and I guess I will have to give a little more thought to the proper filing of this interesting factoid.

No comments: