Friday, September 4, 2009

St. Petersburg is a tough place to play? Really?


Per the AP story on yesterday's Red Sox/Rays game, this from Boston manager, Terry Francona: "This is a tough, tough place."

Really? It is tough to play in St. Petersburg? Is it?

I note that the announced crowd last night was 20,823. As to how many were actually in the seats, who knows. I did catch a portion of the game the night before between these two teams and it is safe to say that attendance was sparse with a very healthy number of Red Sox fans in the crowd. It just did not strike me as a very intimidating place to play for the Red Sox. Maybe they don't clean the visitors clubhouse or just keep generic cola in the Coke machine, I don't know.

Those catwalks above the field are kind of weird but they shouldn't intimidate anybody as long as they are bolted firmly in place. I do see that the their fans waive around cowbells there but I don't think a professional ballplayer would much be bothered by that. Tampa does have a pretty decent team but not the type that would make you shake in your boots so I don't know if it is that either.

So what is it that makes St. Petersburg this unique house of horrors for Terry Francona? I don't get it.

Maybe he doesn't get out much.

He should go over to Europe and wear the visitors colors at a game in one of those dilapidated soccer stadiums. He might find that tougher than St. Petersburg.

Better yet, he should go play the White Sox at their place when the shirtless guys are there and charging the field. They are out of jail now, you know.

I bet then he wouldn't think that St. Petersburg is so bad.

1 comment:

night owl said...

I hear Dickie Vitale can be awfully distracting.